The very first project we took on when we moved into the new house was to paint and do a white board and batten. This project was all my vision, Todd had a hard time trying to picture what it would look like. So I drew many pictures, did all of the measurements for placement and cuts of wood, and then Todd took it and did a phenomenal job creating the end look. It was just what I wanted and pictured, and it actually surprised us that it was not as frustrating of a project as we both thought it may be. :) There were many steps, lots of painting, but planning is everything.
For this project we used:
a small piece to create a little ledge (sorry I don't know the measurments of this we cut it down)
a soft white satin paint
a saw that Todd has (I should probably know the name of that)