At the end of the summer, we tackled a big project... a rustic farmhouse table.
We were so excited about this project!
She turned out even better than we had hoped. We love her.
This baby was pretty much 96% the work of this handsome fellow, my husband.
He did an amazing job.
I just did the research, held some boards for him and got to take part in the fun that is "distressing".
Here is a little bit of the scoop...
We followed these plans almost exactly from the talented Ana White,
Farmhouse Table with Pocket Holes plans.
We just adjusted the measurements to our own liking ever so slightly.
Our table is 85 inches x 38 inches.
We decided to use the Pocket Hole plans because we liked that it hid a lot of the screws.
We borrowed a Kreg Jig from a friend (to make the pocket holes). However, these are not expensive to purchase if you should need to.
We ended up going with Douglas fir for the wood and found most of it at Home Depot and some at Lowe's.
In just a day, the table was constructed.
A few of the steps...
The frame is up and ready.
It looked like an awesome balance beam so we had to try it out. :) This is how we roll, folks.
The top was on and it was time to play again.
When she is 18 I'm going to pull this picture out again and say "see you already danced on a table, no need to do it again. check!". :)
This is the table complete before we did any treatments to it.
Alright, so that night after Quinn went to bed, Todd and I had fun completing the "distressing" step on the table. We pulled out all kinds of tools, a board with nails in it, and a blowtorch. We dropped the tools all over it, put some nail holes in it and then finally went around and did just a little blowtorching on some edges to give it a little more character. We were careful not to make anything look repetitive or in a pattern.
The next step is not horribly time consuming, it just requires good time in between each step (coat).
We applied the following over the next few days:
* 1 coat of wood conditioner
* 3 coats of stain (Minwax - Weathered Oak) - We did a 4th coat on the table top.
(Definitely encourage doing test pieces on scrap wood.)
* 3 coats of poly (Varathane in a Matte finish). The matte finish was important to us so that it
would keep more of an authentic rustic look, instead of a shiny finish.
We were most nervous about the finishing step, and we were thrilled with the end result. I wanted to pull in a little bit of a weathered look with just a bit a grey.
Oh, did I tell you we made a bench too? :)
(it's up on the stands)
The bench was more challenging than the table, but it turned out great.
Todd said he would have rather made 5 more tables instead. ;)
As far as size goes, this table will seat 8 and still feel roomy. (we could easily squeeze 4-5 kids on the bench if we wanted to, stretching the seating even more)
The table has found it's home in our kitchen, and we are in love.
We will post a part two once the chairs are put in and the whole nook is complete.
a close up of some of the distressing and little better of the color.
So in love.
Now for the fun part, the cost.
Well, this same construct of a table is available at Restoration Hardware for about $3,000.
You can see that table HERE.
Our cost was $165 (and that includes the bench).