adsense

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Kid Craft - toddler matching game.

As Quinn is growing older and getting closer to preschool age, I am starting to use my "teacher" brain a bit more.  Also, she is just a busy bee as most toddlers are and I'm trying to find new and fun ways to play and spend our time together.
I was inspired by this activity that I had spotted on Pinterest and decided to make it with Quinn ASAP. 
We hit up our local craft store, that I am always looking for an excuse to go to, and we were on the hunt for a few pieces of felt and some round wooden discs.  The felt we scored on sale.  The wooden discs (circles, squares, all of them) were a little more pricey than I wanted to spend for this simple game.  As much as I love the idea of the wooden pieces, we passed and decided we could find an alternative that would still be sturdy and durable for little toddler hands.
When we arrived home I searched through the basement and found a good quality pretty box that a dress I had ordered was shipped in.  Perfect!  Sturdy, durable, free. :)

...within minutes we had a new activity.


Materials:
- Felt (less than $1)
- Cardboard (sturdy)
- Hot glue gun and glue stick
- Sharpie marker

Our game has 18 pieces.
9 sets of shapes.
9 sets of colors.

You can do multiple activities with this game.
1. Match and practice color names.
2. Match and practice shape names.
3. Sort in other ways, number of sides, round edges, etc.
4. Play a Memory matching game.
5. Practice counting numbers up to 18.
6. Number recognition.

On the backside of the cards I wrote numbers and placed dots to help count and identify the number.
One more thing that we could incorporate.  It's a little hard for a toddler, but it is an activity that they can continue to grow into.
 
Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...